Newby Hall Train Driver
To take full responsibility for the safe operation of the miniature railway at Newby Hall and Gardens. The railway operates during the open season April – September carrying around 50000 passengers per annum. The railway is a commercial operation within the Opening Department at Newby Hall and currently operates a refurbished steam locomotive the “Royal Scot” and 2 LPG powered engines. On busy days the railway operates 2 trains continuously. In addition, the Tarantella water fountains are maintained by the train driver.
The role is one that is integral to the success of Newby Hall as a visitor attraction. You will be working as part of the Opening Department for the family owners Mr and Mrs Richard Compton.
The working hours are 6 days/week during the 6 month open season, including weekends. 4 days/week during the closed season. Salary is dependent on experience, accommodation may be available.
An engineering background, coupled with a passion for customer service is essential.
Please forward your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com
- To maintain the track and engines providing a safe environment for visitors and staff
- To manage the existing team of volunteers ensuring staffing levels are sufficient for anticipated visitors numbers
- To operate the railway in a profitable manner, taking responsibility for the ticket office (railway shop)
- To provide the highest possible level of customer care assisting the whole visitor management team in maintaining a first class visitor experience
- To maintain the track and its immediate surrounds providing a tidy and safe service
- To carry out annual risk assessments and adjust working practises to suit demands and conditions
- To maintain all records and paperwork associated with the railway and the dancing water jets the “Tarantella”
- Regular maintenance of the Tarantella pumps, filtration and chlorine dosing system and associated areas, working within existing, bespoke guidelines
- As the resident engineer the train driver is called upon to undertake other engineering duties around the estate from time to time.
- As a member of the visitor management team the train driver is expected to assist in other areas of the visitor operation from time to time