Visitor Services Supervisor
Visitor Services Supervisor
Location: Newby Hall and Gardens, Ripon, North Yorkshire HG4 5AE
Newby Hall and Gardens usually welcomes around 130,000 visitors over a 6 month visitor season from April – September. The Hall, Gardens and Estate are privately owned by Mr and Mrs Compton who live in the Hall. The visitor offer comprises of 40 acres of award-winning gardens, an adventure playground, miniature railway, hall tours and a busy programme of events including corporate and weddings.
The role is a critical one working with the Visitor Services Manager and the Commercial Director to deliver a first class, profitable and safe visitor attraction. Mainly working outdoors the post is a blend of “on the ground” management of staff, facilities and practical tasks. These include pre-opening safety checks, risk assessments, basic repairs, maintenance and ensuring the site is clean and litter free throughout the day.
The role involves a 6-day working week (including weekends) from April to the end of September with a four day week (no weekends) during the winter months. This is a salaried position with the salary commensurate to the seniority and importance of the position and includes a rent free family house within the gardens.
• To undertake agreed weekly and daily safety checks within the Adventure Gardens and to undertake repairs as and when necessary. Training will be provided.
• To supervise part time staff within the service areas of ice cream kiosk, pedalo boats, car parking, litter collection and additional staffing on event days.
• With the Visitor Services Manager develop and implement a pre-season training programme for casual staff
• To ensure the site is clean at the start of each day and litter is disposed of correctly and the site is clear of visitors at the end of each day
• Provide cover for pedalo boats, ice cream sales, ticket office as required and to staff the Adventure Gardens during the quiet periods at the beginning and end of the season.
• Manage cleaning staff.
• Provide First Aid cover to visitors and ensure first aid equipment is up to date and well stocked. Training will be provided.
• Liaise with, and provide answers to, customer queries.
• Assist with the set up and management of events at Newby. These will involve occasional evening duties.
• As nominated first aider the postholder will be first on call for any visitor related 1st aid calls
• To take full control of the site as Duty Officer on occasional weekends
• Maintain good relationships with concession holders, suppliers and contractors.
• During the winter months carry out maintenance and repairs to the site and equipment.
• To provide back up security duties for the Hall, covering for the Hall caretaker in his absence.
• Any other duties related to the operation of the Hall and Gardens that may be required.
• Experience of working in a busy customer facing environment
• Excellent customer care skills
• Prepared to work weekends April – September
• Proven practical skills
• Computer literate with an understanding of computer systems
• Commercially aware
• Experience of working with casual staff
• Experience of drafting Working Practises/Risk Assessments
• Experience of EPOS systems/cash handling
To apply please send CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org